Intermountain Therapy Animals (ITA) is based in Salt Lake City and was founded in 1993. If you feel that you and your companion animal may be interested in becoming a volunteer visiting team with Intermountain Therapy Animals and you are located in Utah, Idaho, or Montana, the first step is for you to read thoroughly this entire document about the requirements and process to qualify for this very unique kind of volunteering.
Diva assists in the physical therapy of a young man at the IMED Center.
- 1 Read Volunteering With Your Companion Animal for More Information.
- 2 Complete the ITA Self Assessment
- 3 Watch this video
- 4 Read and understand our Teaching and Training Philosophy
- 5 Call us to discuss any questions you have after completing steps 1 through 4.
- 6 If you decide you and your animal are ready to proceed, make an appointment for an interview in our office by calling (801) 272-3439).
- 7 Volunteering Without an Animal (If located in Utah, Idaho or Montana).
NOTE: Intermountain Therapy Animals operates only in Utah, Montana and Idaho. If you are looking to volunteer in any other state, please click on our list of ITA AFFILIATES to determine whether there are any ITA-affiliated groups in your area. If so, please contact them directly.
As someone who’s volunteered outside of Salt Lake, when you’re out in a community with 5 different therapy organizations and anyone can say they have a “therapy dog,” not a lot of places really want to open their doors to you. ITA has a large community presence and a standard that my dog and I have to adhere to, which means that local facilities trust us.
ITA also has staff willing to open doors in new places that may not already have a program so that teams can go to places that suit them and their dogs the best. This level of organization makes you feel part of a team and ultimately makes it easier and more rewarding to volunteer. I really appreciate ITA’s level of organization. A lot!